Updated: Dec 16, 2021
One of Hillsboro's stately historic homes, now owned by Jill Bullington and Jim Conway, is among four residences on the Walk Along Home Tour Sponsored by Hillsboro 2000 and Beyond.
The three story brick home site on the Southwest corner of brick paved Jefferson and Tremont streets, one block west of South Main St. Built in 1916 by American Zinc Company for its superintendent, F.H. Ives, the homes excellent condition attests to the fine workmanship and materials used in construction.
Its brick walls are three bricks thick, resulting in deep window sills. Walnut woodwork (believed to be from timber cut when the American Zinc Co. plant was built) is found throughout the house, in addition to a solid walnut staircase, walnut flooring on the first floor and oak flooring on the second.
Other assets include a sunporch on the southeast corner and a shaded open porch on the north side, formal dining room, den, four upstairs bedrooms with a sunporch off the master bedroom.
The house was purchased in 1925 by Mr. and Mrs. J.O. Brown. Mr. Brown was the owner of a large dry goods store in Hillsboro for many years. After their deaths, the home was purchased in 1944 by Mr. and Mrs. Omer Poos.
Mr. Poos, a prominent Hillsboro lawyer, was appointed to the federal bench in 1958, and the law library of his alma mater, St. Louis University, was named for Judge Poos. Mrs. Virginia Poos a Hillsboro High School teacher for many years, continued to live in the house until selling it in 1991 to Jill Bullington and Jim Conway, Hillsboro natives who have resettled here.
Jill and Jim have been meticulously restoring the homes features and filling it with antique finds and family heirlooms.
Hillsboro 2000 & Beyond held a home tour October 16, 1994.
Written by: Nancy Slepicka
Published by: The Montgomery County News