Updated: Sep 7, 2021
211 Pleasant Street
This home was built about 1904 by Howell M. Dorsey, founder of the Dorsey Lumber company, which was in business, in Hillsboro for many years. The solid construction of the house is evidence of Mr. Dorsey's knowledge of building materials and fine carpentry. Three generations of the Dorsey family occupied the home until it was sold to "Kenny" and Deanna Taylor in 1969.The house remains much as it was when built, with the exception of the steel siding that was added after the Traylors purchased it. The kitchen area was remodeled in recent years and the fireplace, which had been removed during the Dorseys' tenure, was rebuilt by the Traylors.
Mr. and Mrs. Traylor have been avid antique collectors for several years and, for a short time, Mrs. Traylor operated the "Remember When" antique shop from her home. Their interest in antiques is reflected in the furnishings in their home.
In the living room, the walnut washstand with marble top and backsplash originally belonged to the Rice Miller family. The Pennsylvania Dutch hutch cabinet houses a collection of resting hens which Mrs. Traylor has acquired through the years, and the doll house buffet contains a collection of salt dishes.
In the downstairs family room, formerly known as the sitting room, the oak cabinet has been restored and is used to house the television set. The fireplace mantel contains a display of antique lanterns and household utensils. The watercolor on the south wall was painted by Miss Jan Baselt while she was a student at Hillsboro High School. Another interest of the Traylors will be noted in the many handsomely framed pictures hung throughout the house.
The walnut wardrobe in the dining room now being used as a display cabinet for antique china and glassware came from the home of the late Ed Epley. The china canister set on the hutch came from Germany and is thought to be about 100 years old .
The handmade desk in the hallway is unique in that it is three separate sections with a common top that can be readily removed. On the stairway, the small file cabinet which holds the miniature glass fronted display case came from the Montgomery County Bank when it was remodeled.
On the second floor, the "mod" bedroom reflects the personality of the Traylor's teenage son, Craig, who selected the wallpaper and the furnishings. Their daughter, Tanja, has shown more of her parents' interest in her selection of decor and furnishings for her bedroom. The large walnut bed was restored and refinished by Mrs. Traylor, as was the dresser with its original pulls and mirror.
The fainting couch in the Traylors' bedroom came from the home of the late Mrs. Dan Sullivan. The oak cabinet which is being used as a sweater closet was given to Mrs. Traylor by her grandmother, Mrs. Jacob Zimmerman of Greenville. The glass fronted cabinet in Mr. Traylor’s den contains a collection of his boyhood mementos. On his desk is a Butler Schools record book dating back to 1867. The back room, which was originally the "maid's room", has recently been redecorated and is now the upstairs family room. The old cook stove which is being used to display a collection of miniature cooking utensils came from the home of the late Mr. and Mrs. G. A. Johnsey.
In the 1970's the Historical Society had home tour each year. This article is from a hand out visitors received when they toured this home.