Home of Mr. & Mrs. Daniel Hucker

802 South Main - Hillsboro Illinois
802 South Main - Hillsboro Illinois

802 South Main Street

Hillsboro, Illinois

This handsome example of Mid-Victorian architecture was built in 1869 by James Madison Truitt and his wife, the former Jennie Blackman. The house remained in the Truitt family for over 80 years. After the death of Miss Ida Truitt in 1954, the home was first owned by the late ''Happy'' Collins, well known Hillsboro carpenter. Mr. Collins made some alterations to the interior of the house and built the garage with apartment above. Mr. and Mrs. Homer Hucker were the next owners, and Dan, Susan, Amy and Julie Hucker have lived in the house since March of 1973.

Some interesting features of the exterior of the house are the two bays, the gingerbread trim, large windows, and the beautifully shaded yard. An ancient sycamore tree almost engulfs the apartment over the garage.

In the entrance way of the home and throughout the first floor are hardwood parquet floors, which the Huckers have left uncarpeted.

The curve, black walnut and oak staircase cost $98.50 in 1869 and are considered one of the most beautiful in Hillsboro. Susan Hucker created the wall- paper in the hall by stamping blue pineapples on brown wrapping paper. The walnut pump organ belonged to Dan's great grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. John Hucker.

Throughout the house, antique and contemporary furnishings are combined in a unique style.

Susan's collection of over 200 baskets can be seen used in many unusual Ways.

Window treatments include stained glass church windows, wooden shutters and various types of shades. This allows an abundance of sunlight, healthy for both plants and people.

This 107 year old house is one of the landmarks represented on the Bicentennial quilt created by the Hillsboro Hospital Auxiliary.

The first owner of the house, J. M. Truitt, was a prominent Hillsboro attorney, state legislator, president of the board of education and Mayor of Hillsboro. He served with Company B. 117th Illinois Infantry, during the Civil War and company reunions were often held on the lawn of his home.

The land on which the house is built was part of the Blackman property which, at one time, included most of this block. Mrs. Truitt's father and grandfather conducted a cabinet shop and wagon manufacture, and a blacksmith shop was located on the present house site.

In the 1970's the Historical Society had home tour each year. This article is from a hand out visitors received when they toured this home.

30 views0 comments

Related Posts

See All

Jeff Dunn

Vice President

Historical Society of

Montgomery County

Advisory Board

Illinois State

Historical Society