History of the Hillsboro United Methodist Church Building


United Methodist Church Hillsboro Illinois Built in 1903
United Methodist Church Hillsboro Illinois Built in 1903. The current building is the second church built by the Methodists on this site. The first church was built in 1863.

By: Mabel Thompson - 1986


Around 1900 it became apparent that this old church built by the Methodists in 1863 was becoming inadequate in size and was in need of a great deal of repair so it was decided to build a new church and it was completed and dedicated on May 31st, 1903.

1899 Map showing the location of the original Methodist Church building built in 1863 and torn down around 1903. This church building faced North.
1899 Map showing the location of the original Methodist Church building built in 1863 and torn down around 1903. This church building faced North.

The congregation became debt free in 1910.

Under the untiring efforts of Mrs. Etta Stubblefield, a new pipe organ was installed in 1916. In the same year more room was needed, and the basement was excavated making room for a kitchen, dining area and social rooms and these rooms were enlarged again in 1947. By this time the pipe organ was cast aside because of constant need of repairs and replaced by a Hammond organ and the sanctuary was newly painted, pews repaired and refurbished and new carpeting laid. I. W. Brown and John Vawter are to be remembered for their dedication on carrying out the projects.

United Methodist Church Hillsboro Illinois Built in 1903
United Methodist Church Hillsboro Illinois Built in 1903

The building became widely known for its beautiful art glass windows some placed by church leaders to honor their families.


The two windows depicting Jesus are to be given to the former congregation to be installed in their new church at School and Rountree as a goodwill gesture from the Lingle family who purchased the building in 1985. It is now being changed into a restaurant and opening date is November 1986. So far, the pews have been removed and the plaster knocked down so the walls will be brick the original material used in construction. The kitchen will be in the basement. A bar has been constructed on the South side of the large room.

 

Located at 202 S Broad St. Hillsboro Illinois

Now known as "The Abbey"

Formerly known as "The Church Street Pub"

211 views0 comments

Related Posts

See All
jeffd.jpg

Jeff Dunn

Vice President

Historical Society of

Montgomery County

Advisory Board

Illinois State

Historical Society