Hillsboro Illinois Post Office


Hillsboro Illinois Post Office
Hillsboro Illinois Post Office

The Hillsboro Post Office, on West Wood Street, was completed in April 1934. The structure, which cost $42,827 without equipment, is of light-colored brick with stone trimming, with an interior decorated in marble.


John Tillson was Hillsboro’s first postmaster. The mail was brought in from Greenville every two weeks by carrier, who went as far as the old Seward place near Butler, the northern terminus of the mail route. It is said that in the early days a letter could be mailed with or without postage, but if not prepaid, the addressee was expected to pay the postage before receiving the letter.


The exact location of the first post office in Hillsboro is not known. In 1858, when Joseph Rolston was postmaster, the post office was combined with his store, on the site of the present Brungger bakery at 231 South Main Street.


That year Tom Cory ran a mail and stage route from the Hillsboro post office to Carlyle and Shipman. The coach left Hillsboro at six in the morning and arrived in Carlyle, forty-five miles by today’s highway, the same day.


The post office was moved frequently during the next few years. In 1870 it was located in the present Shaner Toggery, 206 South Main Street. Later the mail was handled in Stubblefield’s drug store, now Mobley’s. Robbin’s barber shop also was a post office site. In 1915 the office was moved from the Odd Fellows Building to the Hamilton Building where it remained until 1934.


Rural delivery was established March 1, 1900, with Albert Fish and Len Clotfelter as the first rural carriers.


City delivery was begun on April 1, 1912, The city route men that year were Theodore Lind and Chester Dreyhus.


The present postmaster is A. H. Barlett.


Taken from: Hillsboro Guide - 1940

5 views0 comments

Related Posts

See All
jeffd.jpg

Jeff Dunn

Vice President

Historical Society of

Montgomery County

Advisory Board

Illinois State

Historical Society