It was on June 6, 1925, when the Highway Service Station opened for business on the northeast corner of the junction of Springfield Road and Hamilton Street. The station, built by Bartling & Hussey, operators of the Independent Oil Company at Litchfield and Hillsboro, had the look of a Japanese pagoda. Its gleaming white walls were topped with a green tile roof.
Beaver Livingston managed the station assisted by Fenwick "Buck" Nelson pictured on the left. Mobil Oil products were sold at the station including Torch gasoline at 20.2 cents per gallon. Motorists who would purchase a least 50 gallons of gasoline or 50 quarts of Torch motor oil within a year could buy $1 ,000 worth of travel insurance for 75 cents per year.
Route 16 was under construction at the time the station opened. Only one mile of slab had been poured between Hillsboro and Litchfield. while the route between Hillsboro and Irving needed only 800 more feet of pavement to be completed.
By: Tom Bliss
Part of our Past
Published: The Montgomery News