DEARDUFF ROLLER RINK and Snack Room is located on Route No. 16 near Junction 66. The building was designed and built by Virgil A. Dearduff in 1946 and opened in 1947. During the remodeling in 1950, the front of the snack room was redecorated. In the snack room sandwiches, soft drinks, and ice cream are served. Curb service is available during the summer. In 1951, the stage was removed from the rink side, making it longer and giving more space for the skaters. Virgil Dearduff is the son of John and Myrtle Dearduff, who moved from Indiana to Litchfield in 1905. Virgil followed the trade of his father, becoming a builder and general contractor. He was in this type of business for thirty years in Litchfield before starting the roller rink.
Mr. and Mrs. Dearduff, who own and operate the business, have two children who are attending Litchfield High School. Joan graduated with the class of 1953. Jim is a sophomore. Anniversary Penny Night, April 1, 1953, attracted 500 skaters, the largest attendance at the rink. A 1947 penny was the price of admission. The youngest skater is Linda Irvine, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Melvin Irvine of Litchfield. She began skating at the age of fourteen months. The oldest skater was “Pop” Carter, the world’s oldest skater, who skated here two years ago at the age of ninety-two.
Taken from: Litchfield Centennial Book 1853-1953