Updated: Sep 15, 2021
The beautiful bronze trophy gun, captured during the Civil War by Union forces, was publicly unveiled when Mrs. Eugenia A. Helston and Mrs. Hattie Klar the two oldest members of the Hillsboro Women's Relief Corps removed the two flags which covered it.
Former Congressman Frank M. Ramey then presented to Mrs. Walter Sharp president of the Women's Relief various original documents showing that a bill had been passed in Congress and approved by the President to donate the trophy gun to the Women's Relief Corps. The legislation which provided the gun for Hillsboro was introduced by Mr. Ramey and the gun was secured through his efforts. Mrs. Sharp graciously accepted the gift from the government in behalf of the Women's Relief Corps.
The bronze tablet containing Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg address was then unveiled by Mrs. Helston and Mrs. Klar. The tablet was then presented to the city by Mrs. C. C. Baxter, acting for the W. R. C. in a short talk in which she said: "Having just accepted this splendid gift (referring to the gun) from Ex-Congressman Frank M. Ramey for which we are very grateful, we in turn present to you (the community) the Lincoln tablet, In memory of our soldiers who died for liberty, the Women's Relief Corps brings to generations yet unborn the sacred words of Lincoln. In memory of our fathers and brothers who in past years gave their lives to establish and defend our country, we dedicate this tablet. And, as a symbol to living of our steadfast faith in the institutions of our country, we dedicate this shrine.
And now to the city and community at large, in behalf of F. D. Hubbel Women's Relief Corps, it gives me pleasure to present to you this bronze tablet with the immortal words of the Abraham Lincoln, the Gettysburg Address."
The gun is mounted, pointing westward at the southwest corner of the court house. The Lincoln tablet, containing the Gettysburg Address is attached to the south face of the concrete pedestal on which it is mounted and on the gun is an inscription showing that it was procured through the efforts of Mr. Ramey.
Presented to F. D. Hubbel Women's Relief Corps. No. 103 Hillsboro Illinois
By Frank M. Ramey, M. C.
Enact of Congress December 12, 1930
Built in March 1862 by Noble Brothers Foundry in Rome, GA, the 58 and a half inch long 800-pound cannon remains one of only three known to be in existence. The other two remain on the battlefield at Gettysburg.
A rededication ceremony was held in May 1999.
On October 31, 2014 Ann Noble Baker and her husband, George, of Batavia, stopped in Hillsboro to photograph the Noble cannon. Ann is the great-great-great-granddaughter of James Noble Sr., whose foundry in Rome, GA, built the cannon.