Updated: Dec 17, 2021
The comfortable home of Jeff and Val Biggs at 311 W. Tremont Street is one of four residences on the Sunday, October 16, 1994 Walk Along House Tour sponsored by Hillsboro 2000 & Beyond.
The exact year the Biggs home was constructed, or who built it, is not certain, but according to historian Idabel Evans, the house originally stood somewhat east of its present location, perhaps in the middle of the block, which consists of Lots 7 and 8 of Brewer's Addition to Hillsboro.
In 1919, Clinton F. Dort sold the house and two lots to Miss Theda Gildemeister and Miss Irene Ferguson and to Dr. and Mrs. Louis Brown. The two retired teachers moved the house to its present site on the west end of the lot, and they lived there until their deaths.
Dr. and Mrs. Brown built a new house on the east end of the lot, the present home of Mr. and Mrs. Richard Coderko.
The John Bullington's bought the home in 1948 and did considerable remodeling. The Bullington's lived there more than 20 years before selling the home to George and Fran Harvel.
Jeff and Val Biggs bought it in 1984.
Highlights of the two story wood frame home include the family room paneling in wormy chestnut with hand-pegged oak plank floor, country kitchen with Amish custom made cabinets a newly finished rec room in the basement, and heated in ground pool and hot tub in the back yard.
Hillsboro 2000 & Beyond held a home tour October 16, 1994.
Written by: Nancy Slepicka
Published by: The Montgomery County News